Translate this page

17-year-old dies of asphyxiation after inhaling helium


Tuesday, January 5th, 2010
Issue 01, Volume 14.


RIVERSIDE - A 17-year-old Riverside boy apparently died from suffocation while inhaling helium, though toxicology tests are pending, authorities said today.

Micah David, who bought a tank of the lighter-than-air gas at a Wal-Mart, was found dead Dec. 14 with a plastic bag over his head and the tank connected to the bag.

The death was the second of its kind in the county. A woman died of Advertisement
Advertisement for Berry-Bell and Hall Mortuary
[ Berry-Bell and Hall Mortuary ]
inhaling helium about eight months ago, Riverside police Sgt. Mark Rossi said.

When inhaled, helium raises the register of one's voice, making it high and cartoon-like, but Rossi said youths apparently believe it also produces a mind-altering effect.

"I would imagine it must provide some type of high,'' Rossi said. If enough of the gas is inhaled, it can replace oxygen in the blood stream and cause asphyxiation.


 

5 comments

Comment Profile Imagebetween
Comment #1 | Wednesday, Jan 6, 2010 at 1:43 am
Well, youths, now you know that it produces a mind-altering effect.
Comment Profile ImageStew
Comment #2 | Wednesday, Jan 6, 2010 at 2:35 pm
Actually, it states, it doesn't produce a mind-altering effect except if it replaces enough oxygen in the blood stream. You don't need helium for that, you can just put the bag over your head.
Comment Profile Imagebetween
Comment #3 | Wednesday, Jan 6, 2010 at 11:12 pm
Stew, you're right. It produces a voice altering effect, and too much of anything without oxygen will certainly produce a mind altering effect, but these kids just want a high.
Comment Profile ImageNo one
Comment #4 | Sunday, Feb 7, 2010 at 7:00 pm
It is a new painless way of killing yourself. There is a book and websites all about.
Comment Profile ImageCJ
Comment #5 | Tuesday, Aug 3, 2010 at 11:57 pm
It is part of the .................. how to easily asphyxiate yourself with Helium. The best part about it is if you were to do so, also the most dangerous if you did not intend to do so, is that it replaces Oxygen but your body reacts as if you were still breathing oxygen until you very quickly pass out once your Oxygen level in your blood stream drops low enough to no longer be able to support consciousness at which time you pass out and if still in a non Oxygen environment will certainly be brain dead in 3- 5 minutes.... and certainly biological death should occur within 10 minutes. The individual simply goes to sleep never to wake again.
I anticipate a increase number of suicides may opt for this low cost method for their final exit...

Article Comments are contributed by our readers, and do not necessarily reflect the views of The Valley News staff. The name listed as the author for comments cannot be verified; Comment authors are not guaranteed to be who they claim they are.

 

Add your Comment


Name

Images, Formatting, or HTML is not allowed : plain text only. You may post up to 5 website addresses within your comment.




Disclaimer

The Valley News has tightened its' policy regarding comments.
While we invite you to contribute your opinions and thoughts, we request that you refrain from using vulgar or obscene words and post only comments that directly pertain to the specific topic of the story or article.
Comments that are derogatory in nature have a high likelihood for editing or non-approval if they carry the possibility of being libelous.
The comment system is not intended as a forum for individuals or groups to air personal grievances against other individuals or groups.
Please, no advertising or trolling.
In posting a comment for consideration, users understand that their posts may be edited as necessary to meet system parameters, or the post may not be approved at all. By submitting a comment, you agree to all the rules and guidelines described here.
Most comments are approved or disregarded within one business day.

RSS FeedFacebookTwitter



Advertisement for Stellar Solar





Subscribe


Most Commented


Reach Local Customers



The Valley News The Valley News
760-723-7319 - 1588 S. Mission Rd. Suite 200, Fallbrook CA 92028
All contents copyright ©2014
About Us
Earthquake Information
Business Listings
Contact Us
Letter to the Editor
Report a website error
Sitemap
Online Digital Edition
RSS Feeds
Login