Translate this page

Ex-Con to Stand Trial for Allegedly Attacking Police Officers

Thursday, March 28th, 2013
Issue 13, Volume 17.

MURRIETA - An ex-con who allegedly rammed a Riverside police unit while trying to avoid arrest must stand trial for assault on a peace officer and other felonies, a judge ruled today.

James Chad Horton, 34, could face 25 years to life in prison if convicted in a March 23, 2012, attack during which he was shot by officers.

Following a preliminary hearing at the Southwest Justice Center in Murrieta, Riverside County Superior Court Judge Angel Bermudez found there was sufficient evidence to bound Horton for trial on the assault charge, as well as reckless evading, being a convicted felon in possession of a firearm and carrying a concealed weapon.

The defendant has three felony strikes on his record. According to court papers, in the last decade, he's been convicted separately of making criminal threats, auto theft and recklessly discharging a firearm.

Bermudez set a post-preliminary hearing arraignment in the case for April 12 and left Horton's bail set at $210,000. The defendant is being held at the Southwest Detention Center.

According to Riverside police, officers attempted to stop Horton for a traffic violation in the predawn hours Advertisement
Advertisement for Temecula Valley Chamber of Commerce
[ Temecula Valley Chamber of Commerce ]
of March 23, 2012, but the defendant sped away in a 2004 Toyota Tacoma pickup truck. In the ensuing five-minute chase, Horton allegedly drove in excess of 80 mph on city streets, making U- turns and occasionally driving on the wrong side of the road, until he got boxed in on Donald Street, police said.

The defendant allegedly rammed a patrol car several times while trying to escape, prompting four police officers to open fire on the Tacoma, investigators said. Horton's passenger, John Eddie Walton, jumped out of the pickup and was immediately arrested.

According to police, the truck became disabled after Horton struck a power pole, and the defendant fled on foot.

A 90-minute search ensued, during which a police K-9 officer located Horton in the backyard of a home in the 3700 block of Everest Avenue. He surrendered after a police dog bit him.

The defendant was treated for a non-life-threatening gunshot wound and booked into jail.

Last August, Walton pleaded guilty to being a convicted felon with a gun and committing a felony while on bail and was sentenced to four years, eight months in prison.



arrow Be the first to share your opinion on this article!

Add your Comment


Images, Formatting, or HTML is not allowed : plain text only. You may post up to 5 website addresses within your comment.


The Valley News has tightened its' policy regarding comments.
While we invite you to contribute your opinions and thoughts, we request that you refrain from using vulgar or obscene words and post only comments that directly pertain to the specific topic of the story or article.
Comments that are derogatory in nature have a high likelihood for editing or non-approval if they carry the possibility of being libelous.
The comment system is not intended as a forum for individuals or groups to air personal grievances against other individuals or groups.
Please, no advertising or trolling.
In posting a comment for consideration, users understand that their posts may be edited as necessary to meet system parameters, or the post may not be approved at all. By submitting a comment, you agree to all the rules and guidelines described here.
Most comments are approved or disregarded within one business day.

RSS FeedFacebookTwitter

Advertisement for Dan's Got Crabs


Most Commented

Reach Local Customers

The Valley News The Valley News
760-723-7319 - 1588 S. Mission Rd. Suite 200, Fallbrook CA 92028
All contents copyright ©2015
About Us
Earthquake Information
Business Listings
Contact Us
Letter to the Editor
Report a website error
Online Digital Edition
RSS Feeds