Translate this page

Trial begins for ex-con accused of attacking police officers

Thursday, February 13th, 2014
Issue 07, Volume 18.

RIVERSIDE - Jury selection got underway today for the trial of an ex-convict accused of trying to run over several Riverside police officers during a pursuit, prompting the lawmen to shoot him.

James Chad Horton, 35, could face 25 years to life in prison if convicted in the March 2012 incident.

Horton is charged with assault on a peace officer, reckless driving, being a convicted felon in possession of a firearm and unlawfully carrying a concealed weapon. He also has a felony strike on his record.

According to court papers, in the past decade, Horton has been convicted separately of making criminal threats, auto theft and recklessly discharging a firearm.

Riverside County Superior Court Judge Mac Fisher today summoned prospective jurors to the Riverside Hall of Justice for screening as to their qualifications and availability. Opening statements in the case are not expected until next week.

Horton remains held in lieu of $210,000 bail at the Southwest Detention Center in Murrieta.

According to Riverside police, officers attempted to stop Horton for a traffic violation in the predawn hours of March 23, 2012, but the defendant drove away in a Advertisement
Advertisement for Hopes Chest
[ Hopes Chest ]
2004 Toyota Tacoma pickup truck.

During the ensuing five-minute chase, Horton allegedly drove in excess of 80 mph on city streets, making U-turns and occasionally driving on the wrong side of the road -- until he got boxed in on Donald Street, police said.

The defendant allegedly rammed a patrol car with officers next to it several times while trying to escape, prompting four officers to open fire on the Tacoma, according to investigators.

Horton's passenger, John Eddie Walton, jumped out of the pickup and was immediately arrested.

According to police, the truck became disabled after Horton struck a power pole, and the defendant fled on foot.

A 90-minute search ensued, during which a police K-9 officer located Horton in the backyard of a home in the 3700 block of Everest Avenue. He surrendered after a police dog bit him.

The defendant was treated for a non-life-threatening gunshot wound at Riverside Community Hospital and later booked into jail.

In August 2012, Walton pleaded guilty to being a convicted felon with a gun and committing a felony while on bail and was sentenced to four years, eight months in prison.



arrow Be the first to share your opinion on this article!

Add your Comment


Images, Formatting, or HTML is not allowed : plain text only. You may post up to 5 website addresses within your comment.


The Valley News has tightened its' policy regarding comments.
While we invite you to contribute your opinions and thoughts, we request that you refrain from using vulgar or obscene words and post only comments that directly pertain to the specific topic of the story or article.
Comments that are derogatory in nature have a high likelihood for editing or non-approval if they carry the possibility of being libelous.
The comment system is not intended as a forum for individuals or groups to air personal grievances against other individuals or groups.
Please, no advertising or trolling.
In posting a comment for consideration, users understand that their posts may be edited as necessary to meet system parameters, or the post may not be approved at all. By submitting a comment, you agree to all the rules and guidelines described here.
Most comments are approved or disregarded within one business day.

RSS FeedFacebookTwitter

Advertisement for Crown Hill Pizza


Most Commented

Reach Local Customers

The Valley News The Valley News
760-723-7319 - 1588 S. Mission Rd. Suite 200, Fallbrook CA 92028
All contents copyright ©2015
About Us
Earthquake Information
Business Listings
Contact Us
Letter to the Editor
Report a website error
Online Digital Edition
RSS Feeds