Valley News -

By Alex Groves
Staff Writer 

2 detained following police activity in Murrieta neighborhood


Last updated 3/29/2018 at 6:53pm

Update: 6 p.m. Thursday, March 29

Murrieta police today arrested a 19-year-old Fallbrook man suspected of robbing a convenience store clerk at gunpoint after a several hour standoff, officials said.

Marco Antonio Calderon was arrested on suspicion of second degree robbery and assault with a deadly weapon after coming out of a home on Fairview Court. He was booked into the Cois M. Byrd Detention Center in French Valley with bail set at $30,000, according to online jail records.

A 17-year-old boy, who also came out of the home, was released to his parents, according to the release.

Police officials say officers went to a convenience store in the 40500 block of Murrieta Hot Springs Road about 1:22 a.m. after an employee reported that she had been robbed.

The employee told the officers that she had seen a man leaving the store with alcohol he had not purchased and when she went to confront him, he brandished a handgun at her.

The employee gave officers a description of the man and a license plate number of the vehicle he left in.

The officers found the suspect vehicle on Fairview Court and a SWAT team was summoned not long after.

Police closed donwn a portion of Daphne Drive between Rockcrest Drive and Cedarwood Drive during the SWAT operation.

Calderon and the 17-year-old came out some time in the early afternoon, about two hours after the SWAT Team had arrived. Both were taken into custody without incident.

Original story:

Two people were taken into custody Thursday following several hours of heavy police activity in a Murrieta neighborhood.

Police announced the arrests about 1:12 p.m. on their Facebook page, but did not provide any information on the arrests, why there were multiple police vehicles in the area or why a portion of a street was closed off.

Several people took to social media Thursday to post about the activity they were seeing.

A Murrieta police spokesman did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Shortly before 10:30 a.m. police announced they were working in the area of Fairview Court and Daphne Drive and encourage people to avoid the area.

By 11 a.m., they announced that Daphne Drive was closed between Rockcrest Drive and Cedarwood Drive.

It was during the last update, when police announced two people were in custody, that they also announced that Daphne Drive had been reopened.

This is a breaking news story and will be updated.


Reader Comments


Our Family of Publications Includes:

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2019