Valley News -

Man who attacked Hemet elderly couple to stand trial

Parolee allegedly broke into victims' home, struck them both, then they opened fire


Last updated 8/4/2018 at 12:38pm

BANNING - A parolee accused of breaking into a Hemet home and attacking two senior citizens who both shot the ex-con in self-defense must stand trial for attempted robbery and other offenses, a judge ruled today.

Dechawn Lewis Wallace, 27, of Moreno Valley was arrested in February following the alleged break-in on State Street, near the Ramona Bowl.

At the end of a preliminary hearing today at the Banning Justice Center, Riverside County Superior Court Judge W. Charles Morgan found there was sufficient evidence to warrant a trial on the attempted robbery count, as well as burglary and two counts of elder abuse, with a sentence-enhancing allegation of committing a serious crime within five years of parole from state prison.

The judge scheduled a post-preliminary hearing arraignment for Sept. 12 and left the defendant's bail set at $1 million.

Wallace is being held at the Byrd Detention Center in Murrieta.

Just after midnight on Feb. 13, Wallace allegedly forced his way into a mobile home in the 1700 block of State, occupied by a senior and his wife, neither of whom were identified.

The couple confronted the intruder, who became physically aggressive, striking both of the victims, Hemet police Lt. Eddie Pust said. He said that the man and his wife both armed themselves with guns and opened fire on Wallace, who was hit at least twice and ran out of the home.

The victims suffered minor injuries but did not require hospitalization.

Pust said patrol officers swarmed the area moments after the victims called 911 but could not locate the intruder. About an hour later, police were informed that a man fitting the alleged burglar's description had checked into the emergency room at Riverside University Medical Center in Moreno Valley, seeking treatment for non-life-threatening gunshot wounds, according to the


He said detectives went to the hospital and spoke with the convicted felon, who was placed under 24-hour guard in the detention ward of the medical center. Wallace was positively identified by the victims. On Feb. 15 - after doctors cleared his release from the hospital - he was booked into jail.

According to court records, Wallace has prior convictions for burglary and receiving stolen property.


Reader Comments


Our Family of Publications Includes:

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2019

Rendered 06/18/2019 12:15