Valley News -

By Jeff Pack

Lake Perris' Moreno Beach suffers algae bloom, state agency recommends no contact


Last updated 5/21/2019 at 2:40pm

On Friday, May 17, the Department of Water Resources said there's been a discovery of blue-green algae discovered in the water at Moreno Beach at Lake Perris and urged people to avoid physical contact with the water until further notice.

Perris Beach is under a caution advisory and swimming is allowed but the public should also avoid contact with algae and eating fish.

Though boating is allowed at Moreno Beach, swimming and sporting activities are not considered safe under the DWR's safety advisory. The agency recommended that people not eat fish or shellfish taken from the area.

Danger signs are posted at Moreno Beach and agency recommends keeping pets away from the water as well, as they are especially susceptible.

"Exposure to toxic blue-green algae, also known as cyanobacteria, can cause eye irritation, allergic skin rash, mouth ulcers, vomiting, diarrhea, and cold- and flu-like symptoms," the press release stated. "Pets can be especially susceptible because they tend to drink while in the water and lick their fur afterward."

The agency said, "Do not drink, cook, or wash dishes with untreated surface water from these areas under any circumstances. Common water purification techniques such as camping filters, tablets, and boiling do not remove toxins."

The agency recommends immediate medical treatment for people that might have been poisoned by the toxins and alert medical professionals of the reason for your concern. They suggest you also contact the local county public health department.

For more information, visit


Reader Comments


Our Family of Publications Includes:

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2019

Rendered 06/16/2019 12:51